Saturday, February 14, 2015

Happy Valentine's Day with a Lychee, Pomegranate, and Champagne Granita

With Valentine's Day and Chinese New Year falling on the same day this year (an odd occurrence that has not happened since 1953), I wanted to make something that would fuse the two occasions together.

I decided to incorporate lychee and pomegranate flavors because both fruits represent fertility in the Chinese culture (i.e. the closest symbolism to love and romance).

By adding some sparkling wine and PAMA pomegranate liqueur, we have ourselves a pretty pink adult slushie or granita.



After saving a couple of lychee fruit for garnish, I mixed up one 20oz can of lychees in syrup (including both lychee fruit and syrup), 1/2 cup PAMA pomegranate liqueur, and 1 cup sparkling wine or champagne (I used the Spanish cava, Cristalino) using a hand mixer.  I added the mixture to my ice cream maker, then chilled it in the freezer for a couple of hours.
 To serve for my valentine, I put a couple of scoops of the granita into a champagne glass with 2 lychee fruits and added more cava on top of it (similar to the prosecco granita I enjoyed at Telepan)
Alternatively, the granita can also be served straight up in a martini glass with a couple of lychee fruit.

Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment