Monday, May 4, 2015

{Easy Recipes} Grilled Portobello Mushroom

What are you go-to easy-to-make dinners? For me, when I want to clear the pantry, I make our Vegetarian Chili made with Beer.  When I want something hearty that also make great leftovers for lunch the next day, I make our Farro Salad.  And when I want to make an easy meatless dish, I make Grilled Portobello Mushrooms.

I love grilled portobello mushrooms because they're so rich and filled with umami (that similar flavor when I bite into a good steak).  Like a burger, they can be dressed up any way you like it. And my meat-loving husband loves them too - which makes this recipe an easy choice for Meatless Mondays.


Grilled Portobello Mushroom (adapted from AllRecipes.com)
Ingredients:
2-3 portobello mushrooms
1/4 cup canola oil
3 T chopped red onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 T balsamic vinegar (we like the flavor of balsamic vinegar, so feel free to reduce this amount)
2-3 slices white cheddar cheese (optional)

Suggested Toppings:
Lettuce (I used tender mache lettuce)
Sliced Tomatoes
Caramelized Red Onions
Roasted red peppers

Directions:
1. Clean mushrooms with a damp paper towel and remove stems. Place caps on a plate with the gills up.
2. In a small bowl, combine the oil, onion, garlic and vinegar. Pour mixture evenly over the mushroom caps and let stand for 1 hour.
3. Grill over hot grill for at least 10 minutes (we love using our Le Creuset Enameled Cast-Iron Reversible Grill/Griddle).  Add a slice of cheese on top of each mushroom just before you take them off the grill.  Serve immediately with your choice of toppings (or as my husband prefers it, as a sandwich in between a whole wheat bun).

No comments:

Post a Comment