Saturday, October 24, 2015

{Cheap Eats} Mexican BBQ from the Mexicue Truck

My husband works downtown, where good affordable lunch spots are hard to find.  One of the bright times is when a food truck makes its way to the Financial District.  Hope you enjoy his review of his latest lunch find:  Mexicue.
 
Mexicue is one of the newer entrants in the fast growing mobile food truck industry in Manhattan.  The truck, which combines Mexican flavors and barbecue, serves tacos, sliders and even bottles of Jarritos to hungry diners.  Mexicue got busy during the lunchtime rush (noon-1pm), so I came afterward and only waited on line for about ten minutes. 


I ordered two sliders off the short menu: Pulled Pork Shoulder ($3) and BBQ Beef Brisket ($3), along with the Oak Smoked Short Rib taco (above left, $4).  My colleague ordered two tacos:  the House Chorizo ($4) and the Short Rib ($4).  My favorite was the brisket topped with barbecue sauce, spicy slaw, and avocado.  The pulled pork was surprisingly mild without being greasy, but could have used more tang or spice to it; however, the toppings were once again solid.

The tacos were another issue, as the dry shell fells apart quite easily (and to me, did not have much taste).  The meat together with the toppings had a fairly muted flavor and could have been spicier...I guess I should have followed the lead of the customers in front of me that doused their order in Cholula hot sauce. 

Overall, to me, the sliders were the better value.  They were tastier and more substantial than the tacos.  Although I only only had to walk two blocks back to my office, the food got cold quickly.  Next time I will devour the sliders quickly after ordering.

You can find the Mexicue truck's schedule on their website.

Reminder:  There's still time to enter our $55 gift certificate to CSN Stores giveaway! Click here to enter!  (Contest closes 10/31/10, 11:59 PM EST)  And if you feel like making your own Mexican tacos at home, the Norpro Tortilla Press in our shop would make it really easy! With our 30% off discount code (HIGHLOW30PCT), it also got more affordable. (expires 10/31/10)

No comments:

Post a Comment