Tuesday, March 24, 2015

DBGB Kitchen & Bar

Perhaps one of the hardest things for me to do during Lenten Friday is dine at a burger/sausage place.

It becomes even more difficult when that burger/sausage place is owned by famed French chef Daniel Boulud and also features foie gras, bone marrow, and charcuterie. 

We decided to go to DBGB on my husband's day off because we could easily get a seat.

It was worth the visit - even though I had to painfully watch him eat a beautifully juicy burger (with pork belly!).


We decided to sit in the more brightly lit, mirror-covered bar area.  (The dining area is interesting too with its view of the open kitchen).   DBGB has a great beer selection - which my husband thoroughly enjoyed.

He had the Old Engine Oil from Harviestoun Brewery (top right) which was dark, chocolatey, and dangerously easy to drink.  He also liked the Two Brothers Imperial IPA (bottom left).  Finally, he had a generously-sized complimentary tasting of Brooklyn Brewery's Dark Matter.  With its mix of sweet malt and barrel aging, this smooth brew was another winner from Brooklyn Brewery like the Manhattan Project and Black Ops.
The Frenchie ($17):  The housemade 6oz beef patty came topped with confit pork belly, arugula, tomato-onion compote on a peppered brioche.  My husband devoured his juicy burger with pork belly...I enjoyed sharing his crispy homemade fries.
Crab salad ($15):  Lots of meaty crab wrapped with a thin cucumber.  The crab meat was fresh, and I liked the different textures from the edamame and pea shoots.  It was a beautiful dish.
After seeing me sipping my seltzer water while my husband had his own beer tasting, our friendly bartender offered to make me a special complimentary concoction.  After asking about my favorite drink (currently Greyhounds, i.e. grapefruit juice and vodka), he made me a Cucumber martini (Hendricks gin, muddled cucumber, lime juice, and simple syrup all shaken with ice).

Crisp, not sweet, and refreshing - this cocktail was the perfect ending to relaxing and casual meal.  Next time, however, I'm ordering the meat!
DBGB is located at 299 Bowery (btwn Houston and 1st Ave) in NYC.

DBGB Kitchen and Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment