Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Cheap Eats on the road (DC/Maryland): Korean food cart and BBQ

Because it is only a few hours away from NYC (and a cheap bus ride away), Washington D.C. makes for a quick weekend get-away.  We've gone there before enjoying the city's high-end, cheap eats, and drink places.  Though we did not have much time to sight-see (between business meetings and visiting our newborn nephew), we did manage to check out a couple of cheap eats.  Join us as we rush to find the Korean food cart in Washington D.C. and then take a road trip out to Chaps Pit Beef in Baltimore, MD.

I took the Bolt Bus out from NYC to meet up with my hubby (who was in D.C. on business).  During the ride, I used the free WiFi to search for places to eat for cheap.  I came across the Korean food cart - it was only a few blocks away from the bus drop-off spot and was opened 'til 2pm...giving me plenty of time to make it there (or so I thought).  With my bus running late (due to traffic) and my stomach rumbling (due to hunger), I was anxious about missing the cart (and then being stuck with room service).

When the bus finally got in by 1:45pm, I ran straight to the food cart (and soon realizing that DC blocks are a lot longer than NYC blocks!)  Upon seeing the bright yellow cart being packed up, I rushed and breathlessly asked for an order of Bulgogi Bibimbap.  Luckily Andy, my friendly server, had some food left over from the lunch rush.
Unfortunately, they ran out of egg (love the fried egg with bibimbap!), but I was still happy to try their Bulgogi (spicy beef) Bibimbap ($7).  The dish itself was large and substantial (I later shared it with my hubby).  Though it was not the best bibimbap I've ever eaten, it was nice to enjoy a dish full of vegetables and nicely seasoned (not that spicy) beef for only $7.  In an area filled with chain sandwich and coffee shops, I'm glad I had this option for lunch. 
And on the next day, my hubby took me to a completely unromantic, slightly seedy area for a couple of fantastic sandwiches.  After all, if Chaps Pit Beef was good enough for Anthony Bourdain and Guy Fieri, it's definitely good enough for us.  We were lucky to beat the lunchtime crowd and ordered our meal with relative ease.
The classic Pit Beef ($6) was an easy choice.  The beef was tender and moist (it helped that we ordered it rare) - definitely not plain deli meat.  We tried some of the sandwich with the sauce and vinegar, but thought it wasn't necessary at all.  The sandwich itself was so flavorful.  Though it may not look pretty, this sandwich was definitely worth the trip.
The gigantic Raven ($7.30) had roast beef, turkey, and corned beef.  It was a lot of meat that needed some sauce.  Though we preferred the other sandwich, we could see how others with large appetites and meat cravings would like this huge sandwich.
The Bulgogi Korean Food Cart is located at 1400 L Street on the SE Corner of L and 14th Streets (between N 14th St & N Vermont Ave) in Washington, D.C.

Chaps Pit Beef is located at 5801 Pulaski Hwy in Baltimore, MD.

Chaps Pit Beef on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment