Tuesday, August 11, 2015

What to Do With Used Wine Corks (and a Trip Down Memory Lane)

DIY bulletin board made from wine corks
Have you ever enjoyed a bottle of wine with loved ones, and then kept the cork as a memento?  Well, we've done that for every bottle of wine for the past 2 years and collected them in a huge, tall, clear vase - which was now overflowing.  (We weren't kidding when we said during the last post that we loved red wine!)  So I decided to make a corkboard out of them.

red wine corks reused into bulletin board
First, I sorted the corks by size (small, large, and miscellaneous for odd-sized corks).  This made it easier to match and fit the corks on the board.  There were almost 200 corks! 
reusing an Ikea frame
Then I refashioned this Ikea frame (the glass had broken) by turning it backwards (so I had the deeper area to fit the corks).  I fitted a row of corks (in a 2 by 2 pattern) before glue-gunning them.
French Laundry restaurant
While putting this board together, it was fun thinking back on the memories associated with the corks.  There was the trip to the wineries in the Niagara region, Napa, and Temecula (where we got married!)  I smiled remembering how we stuffed ourselves silly at Bottega, Cyrus, Zuzu, Auberge du Soleil, Oxbow Food Market, and The French Laundry during our honeymoon.  And I made sure to include our treasured French Laundry clothes pins on the board.
wine cork boards
I loved how the board turned out (I ended up using 197 corks, including beer and champagne corks plus the 2 French Laundry clothes pins). I haven't tried using it as a cork board yet (I like the way it looks uncluttered by bills and notes).  And yes, we're working on the next board! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment