Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Memories of India and a Lychee Lassi Recipe

Lychee lassi recipe and photos of travels in India
Maybe it's the 90F/32C plus weather or the movie promos for "Eat Pray Love", but I've been reminiscing about my past travels to India.  A couple of years ago, I was fortunate to visit with a friend who had family in several Indian cities.  We traveled through the resorts and beaches of Goa, shopped through the markets of Mumbai, and were awestruck by the architecture in New Delhi, Jaipur, and Agra (home of the Taj Mahal).

All of these thoughts made me crave a lassi, a beverage made with yogurt, fruit, and spices (almost like an Indian smoothie or milkshake).  Lassis are wonderful to temper spicy foods (we were craving them when we ate at Xi'an Famous Foods) and a great way to cool off on a hot summery day!

Indian Street Food
Oh, how I love street food in any country!
Taj Mahal
Had to visit the Taj Mahal...and it really was beautiful!
Pizza Hut in Agra
And after visiting the Taj Mahal, where else would we dine in Agra but at the Great Indian Treat:  Pizza Hut.  I don't remember the food as much as I remembered the servers dancing while we ate.  And yes, those are "American Style Cream & Onion" chips. 
Dosas and Goan cuisine
But for the most part, I ate as much Indian food as possible (in very diverse locales!).  The giant dosa (from the food court in a suburban mall in Mumbai) started my love affair with the masala potatoes wrapped in a paper thin rice/lentil crepe.  (It might be why I seek out the Dosa cart in NYC.)  The Portuguese-influenced seafood dishes of Goa introduced me to so many new flavors.  And dining on a white-sandy beach cannot be beat!
Though mango lassis were a restaurant staple in India (and a favorite of mine), I used what I had on hand to make another version.


Lychee Lassi (probably serves 2, but I drank the whole huge glass!)
Ingredients
1 cup pitted lychee fruit (I used canned lychee)
1 cup plain yogurt
1 cup lychee syrup (from the can)
1/8 tsp cardamom spice
Ice

Directions:
1. Mix lychee fruit and yogurt together with our hand blender.
2. Gradually add the lychee syrup (taste as you go to see if you want more or less syrup)
3. Add the cardamom.
4. Pour into 2 glasses and add ice.
5. (Optional) Garnish with any leftover lychee fruit.
Thanks for indulging me on my pre-blogging travels! =) Now I'm itching for another exotic trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment