Tuesday, April 21, 2015

{NYC Moment} Tribeca Film Festival and Elton John

When I was a little girl, I remember getting up early on Saturday morning and going grocery shopping with my dad.  I'd get into the back seat of our powder blue Chevrolet and my dad would turn on the radio to CHFI (the adult contemporary radio station in Toronto).  Inevitably an Elton John song would come on - and now every time I hear one of his songs, I think fondly back to my childhood and bonding with my dad (while learning how to pick the best produce!)

Unfortunately this Easter weekend, I'm not able to go up to see my parents in Toronto (Don't worry - I'll see them soon in the summer!). But last night, I got to see Elton John perform live as part of the (free) opening night festivities for the Tribeca Film Festival.  So I know this isn't a food-related post, but I wanted to share with you (and my dad) this wonderful New York moment.  Happy Easter!

The open-air set-up by the World Financial Center was fun - and I could see the Statue of Liberty!
Circus performers entertained the crowd while we waited for the festivities to begin. Denis Leary and Martin Scorsese were on hand to open the Tribeca Film Festival.  I learned that the festival, in its 10th year, was started after 9/11 to help rehabilitate the downtown area.  We also enjoyed a surprise performance by The Bangles with Staten Island's PS 22 (the cute kids who sang at the Oscars).
After watching the movie, "The Union" (a documentary by Cameron Crowe featuring Elton John and Leon Russell), everyone in the area enjoyed a 5-6 song performance by Elton John. 

He concluded the show with my favorite song, "Your Song". Here's a short video I took (my phone battery was running low) of the performance - it cuts off just before he ended the night stating "God bless New York".

Hope you enjoyed this NY moment! Have a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment